Wednesday, October 21, 2009

They're cakes; I bake them.

One of my fondest memories from my childhood is actually of a cake book my mom kept stashed in our dining room hutch (left-most drawer... is it sad that I know that?). I loved looking through the small little paperback book (magazine? leaflet?), reading the instructions on how to make all different kinds of novelty cakes and drooling over the pictures. (My love of sweets started at a young age.) Our birthdays were always a big deal (apparently, this is not the case in every household), full of decorations, presents, cake, and parties (yes, plural). I really want to be able to do this for Liv, so I decided to take a cake decorating course through a local adult school.

First, cake decorating is hard. Sometimes, I pretend I'm someone on the Food Network and just do it all fast...trust me, wishing really hard is not an effective way to hone a craft.

Second, I love it. Not only is it fun, but it's a nice break. It's one of the few places where I'm known as Alicia and not Alicia, the Mommy.

Third, my plan to not eat so much cake by inundating myself with cake is slowly working. I am almost sick of cake. Almost.

So, I've gone through 3 weeks (it's 2 different courses at 5 weeks each) and am posting the cakes I've made so far... don't be jealous, I'm obviously amazing at this. Whenever you are ready for an Alicia Original, shoot me a comment. One pretty awesome, one-tiered cake (we don't do tiers until course 2) with class buttercream icing coming up.

Week 2: Clowns (totally made of icing -- Frank was stoked)

Practice cake celebrating Liv's 6 month birthday. Can you tell that I learned stars, dots, and faces that week?

Week 3: Rainbow cake (except I didn't have the energy to use multiple colors) -- I'm getting TV show worthy. Start the wait list!

Check back often for future skill demonstrations!

1 comment:

  1. Great cakes, Alicia! And love the pictures of Livvie! She is so cute!!! love the leg warmers too, although I felt like I was in a time warp! when did those come back??? lol

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin